We’re pleased to offer a free, 2-hour, online workshop led by the talented Sanjay Lago! Sign up here!
Please be mindful when booking. This is a workshop for writers of colour based in Scotland.
Autobiography and Self Care
Sanjay Lago, a performer and writer who focuses on autobiography, will lead us through a series of reading exercises and writing activities to explore how the themes of autobiography and self care fuse together. The workshop will integrate monologue, poetry, and other forms of prose. It will ask participants to consider who they are, using methods of visualisation and discussion in order to delve into themes like childhood memory. Together, we’ll look at how past and present, ancestry and lived experience, intertwine.
“I feel we can’t put our stories out there and not look after ourselves.” – Lago
- A max of 15 spaces, open to writers in all genres
- This workshop will be hosted online using Webex (instructions will be sent to participants closer to workshop date)
- We’ll discuss a selection of poems and short stories/other prose pieces and use them as a prompt for our own creative responses
- A chance to think about “identity” and how identity is constructed (through memory, through experience)
- The workshop will include writing exercises and time to share/receive feedback
- The workshop includes a 10-15 min break
- All SBWN events will adhere to our safer spaces policy.
Sanjay is a multidisciplinary artist and theatre-maker of Indian Heritage based in Glasgow (3rd generation). His work mainly involves text, dance, and autobiography, and looks at themes such as race, sexuality, masculinity, and mental health, to name a few. He enjoys not only writing and performing, but also directing. He is a big reader and enjoys collaboration in the work he makes.