Deadline: 14 August 2023
Download the guidelines as a PDF here or see below:
Call for Blog Pitches
For this interim open call – between our Roots to Grow programme wrapping up and our upcoming programming scheduled to kick off next year– writers are invited to pitch blog posts on the theme of ‘Writing In Between’, with the format and topic that suits you best. While all applicants must identify as Black writers or writers of colour (definition here), there is absolutely no obligation to connect your pitch to ideas about race and diversity – although these topics are welcome! (If you’re looking for ideas, we’ve provided some suggestions below.)
Each guest blogger will be asked to contribute one blog post. We aim to publish four posts in total during this period.
This blog is part of our regular network programming and will continue through December 2023.
We especially encourage submissions from BPOC writers who are disabled, D/deaf, blind, chronically ill, or neurodivergent; are over 45 years old; are from the LGBTQIA+ community; are a parent or carer; and/or have never been published.
For more information, check out our pitching guide: How to Pitch to SBWN.
- If you have been published on our blog before, please wait 6 months before pitching again.
- Please send a brief pitch (100 words maximum) on what your blog post will be about (see possible pitch ideas below).
- Check out our blog before you pitch – both to see the wide range of styles and topics we publish, and to make sure that we haven’t previously covered the topic you want to write about.
- We need at least one writing sample along with your pitch. These can be published, self-published (e.g. on a personal blog/website), or unpublished.
- We will accept blog posts as text, audio or video.
- We have some bursaries for childcare/caregiver or data costs for people on low incomes who would be unable to participate otherwise.
- We have an access budget – please share your access requirements with us.
- You will be paid an artist fee of £135 for a blog post of 700 words or 5 minutes audio/video.
- Please note this is classed as ‘self-employed’ or ‘freelance’ work.
- The blog post will be posted on the Scottish BPOC Writers Network website.
- Blogs will be posted intermittently. Together, we’ll decide a publication date that works for you.
- An editor will be provided.
‘Writing In Between’ – pitch ideas
If you’re stuck, some ideas include:
- Experimental writing – e.g. playing with language, mixing genres, working with digital technology, or using unusual techniques to create your work
- Do you work in a field associated with commercial rather than creative writing – e.g. technical writing, copywriting, advertising? How do you transition between this and more typically ‘creative’ writing? How has your work in one area shaped your work in another?
- Between traditions: does your writing draw from different literary/narrative traditions, such as Western SFF and oral folklore, and how do you situate yourself ‘in between’ these?
- Any other connections your writing experiences and practices might have with ‘in-betweenness’!
However, we want to emphasise that these are just suggestions; if you have an idea that isn’t listed here but fits with the ‘Writer’s Life’ theme, we would love to read it!
How to apply
Please only apply if you identify as a Black writer or writer of colour based in Scotland.
Apply by 14th August 2023 via this Google Form
Any questions? Email us ScottishBPOCWriters@gmail.com