Deadline: 6 May 2022
Download the guidelines as a PDF here or see below:
Call for Blog Pitches
The Scottish BPOC Writers Network is looking for guest bloggers in order to maintain and develop a dynamic blog that shares experiences, thoughts, and musings about a writer’s life in Scotland.
This call is open to all adults who identify as a writer of colour based in Scotland (or normally based in Scotland outside of COVID-19).
Writers are invited to pitch a blog idea on any topic of their choosing around the theme of ‘Roots to Grow.’ While all applicants must identify as writers of colour, there is absolutely no obligation to pitch ideas about race and diversity – although these topics are welcome! (If you’re looking for ideas, we’ve provided some suggestions below.)
Each guest blogger will be asked to contribute one blog post. We will be publishing two posts per month.
This blog is part of our regular network programming and will continue through August 2022.
We especially encourage submissions from BPOC writers who are disabled, D/deaf, blind, chronically ill, or neurodivergent; are over 45 years old; are from the LGBTQIA+ community; are a parent or carer; and/or have never been published.
- Theme: Our programme theme this year is ‘Roots to Grow.’ Please interpret this in the format and topic that suits you best.
- You will send a brief pitch (100 words maximum) on what your blog post will be about
- If you’re stuck, some ideas include: book/film/music reviews, informal opinion pieces, looking back on personal experiences, thoughts about a recent event you attended (online events included!), interviews, reflections on your life as a writer, and so on.
- Check out our blog before you pitch. Previous topics covered on our blog include historical research, international mountain climbing, live-action role playing, classical Persian poetry, mental health, and graphic novels – among many others!
- We need at least one writing sample along with your pitch. These can be published, self-published (e.g. on a personal blog/website), or unpublished.
- We will accept blog posts as text, audio or video.
- We have some bursaries for childcare/caregiver or data costs for people on low incomes who would be unable to participate otherwise.
- You will be paid an artist fee of £135 for a blog post of at least 700 words or 5 minutes audio/video.
- Please note this is classed as ‘self-employed’ or ‘freelance’ work.
- The blog post will be posted on the Scottish BPOC Writers Network website.
- Blogs will be posted intermittently. Together, we’ll decide a publication date that works for you.
- An editor will be provided.
How to apply
Please only apply if you identify as a Black writer or writer of colour based in Scotland.
Apply by 6th May 2022 via this Google Form
This round of blog posts will be published between May and August 2022. We will open applications again in a few months. Any other questions? Email us ScottishBPOCWriters@gmail.com