Deadline: 12 February 2023
Download the guidelines as a PDF here or see below:
Call for Blog Pitches
For our last open call of the Roots to Grow programme, writers are invited to pitch blog posts on the theme of ‘A Writer’s Life’, with the format and topic that suits you best. While all applicants must identify as Black writers or writers of colour (definition here), there is absolutely no obligation to connect your pitch to ideas about race and diversity – although these topics are welcome! (If you’re looking for ideas, we’ve provided some suggestions below.)
Each guest blogger will be asked to contribute one blog post. We aim to publish at least two posts per month.
This blog is part of our regular network programming and will continue through May 2023.
We especially encourage submissions from BPOC writers who are disabled, D/deaf, blind, chronically ill, or neurodivergent; are over 45 years old; are from the LGBTQIA+ community; are a parent or carer; and/or have never been published.
For more information, check out our pitching guide: How to Pitch to SBWN.
- If you have been published on our blog before, please wait 6 months before pitching again.
- Please send a brief pitch (100 words maximum) on what your blog post will be about (see pitch ideas below).
- Check out our blog before you pitch – both to see the wide range of styles and topics we publish, and to make sure that we haven’t previously covered the topic you want to write about.
- We need at least one writing sample along with your pitch. These can be published, self-published (e.g. on a personal blog/website), or unpublished.
- We will accept blog posts as text, audio or video.
- We have some bursaries for childcare/caregiver or data costs for people on low incomes who would be unable to participate otherwise.
- We have an access budget – please share your access requirements with us.
- You will be paid an artist fee of £135 for a blog post of 700 words or 5 minutes audio/video.
- Please note this is classed as ‘self-employed’ or ‘freelance’ work.
- The blog post will be posted on the Scottish BPOC Writers Network website.
- Blogs will be posted intermittently. Together, we’ll decide a publication date that works for you.
- An editor will be provided.
‘A Writer’s Life’ – pitch ideas
If you’re stuck, some ideas include:
- Reflections on receiving or giving creative feedback
- Taking part in writing events (anything from NaNoWriMo to literary festivals)
- Un-learning and decolonising, misconceptions around creative practice
- Residency or writing retreat experiences
- Collaborative or grant-funded projects
- Experimental forms and creative practice
- Writers of colour who have influenced you
- Working in or influenced by other art forms, traditional cultural arts
- Experiences with freelancing, editing, publishing…
However, we want to emphasise that these are just suggestions; if you have an idea that isn’t listed here but fits with the ‘Writer’s Life’ theme, we would love to read it!
How to apply
Please only apply if you identify as a Black writer or writer of colour based in Scotland.
Apply by 12th February 2023 via this Google Form
This round of blog posts will be published between February and May 2023.
Any other questions? Email us ScottishBPOCWriters@gmail.com